Saturday, September 26, 2009

Timing is Everything

Very much like breaking up with your boyfriend just when your crush falls head over heels with some girl who is totally unworthy, timing can really bite you in the butt.

My personal scenario is when Grady College creates a study abroad program to Cambodia, featuring a travel writing class, that will begin right AFTER I graduate! Now I must admit that I have not tapping my pencil on the table, exhausting the Google search to find out how I can get myself to Cambodia, but it sounds 10,000 times more interesting than the terribly expensive Oxford and Cannes programs.

Spurred by this missed opportunity, I have begun to look into programs that will get me into East Asia. As I mentioned in a previous blog, I have a friend over there now who is having the time of her life, and as graduation steadily approaches I become more and more anxiety ridden of getting stuck in my "career building," without traveling out of the States once again.

2 comments:

  1. A couple of points. Grammar, particularly in the first part of blog, is all messed up. Also, you can take a study abroad program in the Maymester following graduation. A number of students have done that in the terribly expensive Cannes program. (Costs are dictated in large part by prices at the program location -- France is expensive, Cambodia is not.) So if you want to go, you should look into John's program; he knows his stuff, knows Cambodia, and he has put together a stellar program. And then you should simply stay in Southeast Asia for a year or so, working, traveling, writing, whatever. Career-building is vastly overrated and should be postponed for as long as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, who built the study abroad program that your speaking of, came to speak with my Journalism class last Thursday. He seems like an incredible man who would do whatever he could to help a student get to Cambodia. The program sounds incredible and the 10 students who do get to attend, I'm sure will have a blast.

    ReplyDelete