Tuesday, August 25, 2009

GA vs. NY Part II

The largest part of any culture, I believe, is the language. The way people communicate with one another is key to understanding what their life is like.

In Georgia people communicate, but in an artificially polite kind of way. Growing up in the South you are taught "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all," as a matter of respect. Thus, you learn how to read between the lines, read facial expressions, and every other mode of silence that lets you know what the other person is really thinking.

In addition to politeness, most people in Georgia speak English. I have a few notions why:

1) Millions of foreigners are not looking at their map and saying Atlanta, GA is paved with gold. Or, I want to start my life over in Macon, GA.

2) Oftentimes non-English speakers do not exactly receive the 'Southern hospitality' they deserve.

On the other hand, when I was in New York City, I could not walk down the street without hearing at least two other foreign languages, and seldom did I even recognize what they were. New York is truly a melting pot, and that is the norm. There are immigrants, tourists, students, and business people from all over the world going about their daily lives. Thus, when New Yorkers communicate they speak their mind. New Yorkers are too busy, and a miscommunication could be too costly for them to get along any other way.

I understood. I thought it was refreshing. Personally, I haven't ever been the type to pretend that I like everyone. It is not possible, so why fake it? Of course I mind my manners, but down here, it's what people don't say that will kill you.

3 comments:

  1. You're right, the bluntness of New Yorkers is very refreshing. One of my good friends is from New York, and she never keeps her opinion to herself or tries to hide how she feels. Therefore, I never stop laughing when I'm around her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Communication happens on a lot of different levels. You point out several here. "Reading" people is complex. Some gestures, movements, facial expressions, body language are universal. Others are culture-specific. Television has gone a long way toward homogenizing modes of communication. I am not sure that is a good thing. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not feel that some homogenizing is bad, but unfortunately it is a very then line between some and too much. For example, I did not think that I would hear T-pain and R. Kelly while in Ghana, but I did.

    ReplyDelete