Tuesday, November 24, 2009

It's All About the Hair

Early in the class I had proposed a documentary about African-American hair. I had planned on talking about the different styles and really getting into media messages of Black beauty and the truth behind the Black hair business, (for example, the fact that most of the distribution is owned by Koreans).

While the concept may seem unoriginal and overdone, it is an inescapable part of Black culture. Starting from a very young age, young girls learn how to sit still in a chair for what is usually a three hour process of chemicals, heat, and styling, and this is the minimum.

Deciding not to chemically relax your hair always stirs discussion. In a recent conversation about hair with a group a girls, one girl admitted to being addicted to relaxers, having received them since about age 5. I don't remember when I received my first relaxer, but I know approximately two years ago I said no more. I said no to $65 monthly appointments, countless dollars spent on hair grease, hair lotion, and hours spent curling and frying my hair.

This is not to say that I no longer desire to be glamorous or feminine. However, I have decided that my hair should not take up so much of time and money while I am in school. This also is not to say that I believe my personal revelation will wake the entire world to embracing all size afros, locs, and braids. Thus, when I feel like conforming to the irrational standard of beauty I throw on a fabulous wig and call it a day.

I don't torture myself anymore (well maybe for an occasional hair press just to see how long my hair is), and I can change my look as much as I want. I live the natural life.

No comments:

Post a Comment